Skip Navigation
Las Vegas Valley Water District

Water Resources

photo of Colorado River under bridge

The Colorado River

Southern Nevada gets nearly 90 percent of its water from the Colorado River. The other 10 percent of our water comes from groundwater that is pumped out through existing wells within Clark County.

Water Resource Plan

The Las Vegas Valley Water District is a member agency of the Southern Nevada Water Authority (SNWA), which develops and maintains a Water Resource Plan that serves all the member agencies.

The plan includes the history of water in Southern Nevada, the SNWA water resource portfolio, what will be done to meet future water demands and environmental impact issues.

Conservation

Water conservation is an important component of SNWA's Water Resource Plan.

Conservation efforts in the Las Vegas Valley have helped the community reduce its per capita water use by 37 percent between 2002 and 2015, even as the population increased by more than half a million residents during that time.

In 2015, Southern Nevada used 125 gallons per capita per day. (Note: This number reflects water from all sources used by residents and businesses served by municipal water providers, as well as recovered indoor water treated and returned to the Colorado River system and water used by 40 million annual visitors. Because different water agencies' calculation methodologies vary, comparing cities' water efficiency through the use of this metric is not recommended.)

See the Conservation section for information about how you can help protect our water resources.

Multimedia


Video

Learn how Southern Nevada is conserving water and planning for the future.

Video »

Subscribe


Sign up to receive updates about conservation initiatives and water issues.

Subscribe »